Thursday, October 4, 2007

Praise the Lord for Church Choir

It's always exciting when you're skimming Scripture and you find yourself suddenly singing the words you're reading. Normally this happens when I'm all alone, attempting to untangle some unfamiliar passage in Isaiah. Then - Boom - a block of recognizable verses jump out of nowhere, and my head breaks out into song.

This was the case the other night in our living room. Jess has been reading a Psalm a day. As she read her NASB version, she stopped and exclaimed, "O my gosh! We sang this last year in Christmas Choir!" It was Psalm 3. "O yeah!" I exclaimed. Then, since it was the Old King James translation we had sung, I pulled out the ancient version, dusted it off, and we began singing Psalm 3 together, minus that part about God breaking the teeth of the ungodly, of course.

"But thou, O Lord, art a shield for me; the glory and the lifter of mine head..."

Now, old English isn't typically my speech of choice, but that night it sounded wonderful.

6 comments:

D said...

Do you ever sing in your Bogey voice for Jess?

tone614 said...

King James would be proud and it is the best most accurate version of the scripture ever translated by the hand of men.

jh said...

Now, is that really true about Old King James' accuracy? I heard the NASB was?

tone614 said...

its true, poetic, with no agenda, pure, white and marvelous. The NASB does the job, but I'm a traditionalist.

jh said...

There's always an agenda.

urBenLA said...

you guys kicked Eash up there singing the "We're all in this together" from HSM (sorry, I have a toddler, who is influenced by her pre-school friends, so know about such things).